Clamming for Kids
Every year for the past fourteen years the Natural Resources Department of the Town of Barnstable Marine and Environmental Affairs Division has sponsored School Vacation Clamming Classes for Kids. Invariably a number of parents are exposed to the joys of shellfishing for the first time also. BARS volunteers have helped the town introduce shellfishing to many children with their assistance in this event.
15th Annual Fun-Filled Clamming Classes for Kids
Barnstable’s Natural Resources Program will offer three FREE shellfishing classes for young people:
SATURDAY JUNE 24th @ 7:00AM at Bridge St. Landing, Osterville
SUNDAY JUNE 25th @ 7:00AM at Bridge St. Landing, Osterville
WEDNESDAY JUNE 28th @ 9:30AM at Bridge St. Landing, Osterville
- Natural Resources staff and town shellfish volunteers will be available to assist any young digger who wants help.
- Be prepared to get wet! The shellfish live in wet sand that gets covered by saltwater when the tide is high. Waders, hip boots or knee boots would be helpful. Protective gloves are necessary.
- Shellfish may be taken by hand or rake. Small (garden) hand rakes and trowels will be allowed for the young diggers.
- Attendees will receive a free “Clammer Kid” badge and an activity booklet.
- Shellfish that are legally harvested may be taken home.
- Certificates of Completion for this Clamming Class for Kids will be handed out as you leave with your catch.
- SHELLFISH REGULATIONS APPLY AS ALWAYS!
Click to download the 2017 Clamming Classes flyer.
The comfort and safety of participating youngsters is the responsibility of the accompanying adult guardian.
For more information, call Natural Resources during office hours Monday – Friday from 8:30am to 4:15pm at 508-790-6272 or direct your questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org