Clamming for Kids 2023
Every year for the past eighteen years the Natural Resources Department of the Town of Barnstable Marine and Environmental Affairs Division has sponsored Clamming Classes for Kids. Invariably a number of parents are exposed to the joys of shellfishing for the first time also. BARS volunteers have helped the town introduce shellfishing to many children with their assistance in this event.
Barnstable’s Natural Resources Program will offer two FREE shellfishing classes for young people:
Saturday, June 10, 2023 @ 11:00 am at Bridge St. Landing, Osterville
Sunday, June 11, 2023 @ 12:00 pm at Bridge St. Landing, Osterville
- Natural Resources staff and town shellfish volunteers will be available to assist any young digger who wants help.
- Be prepared to get wet! The shellfish live in wet sand that gets covered by saltwater when the tide is high. Waders, hip boots or knee boots would be helpful. Protective gloves are necessary.
- Shellfish may be taken by hand or rake. Small (garden) hand rakes and trowels will be allowed for the young diggers.
- Attendees will receive a free “Clammer Kid” badge and an activity booklet.
- Shellfish that are legally harvested may be taken home.
- Certificates of Completion for this Clamming Class for Kids will be handed out as you leave with your catch.
- SHELLFISH REGULATIONS APPLY AS ALWAYS!
The comfort and safety of participating youngsters is the responsibility of the accompanying adult guardian.
For more information, call Natural Resources during office hours Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 4:15 pm at 508-790-6272 or direct your questions via email to Elizabeth Lewis.